Monday 30 July 2012

Stonehenge


My visiting Australian friends invited me to visit Stonehenge with them, and I jumped at the opportunity to play being a tourist for the afternoon. I have passed by the stones many times on my travels, but I have never actually stopped and done the walking tour around it. It was absolutely stunning and every angle gave you a slightly different view and perspective.


The weather was all over the place with bright sunshine, threatening skies and heavy showers around and about, which made for some great sky backdrops.


The heel stone stands to the north east of the stone, and you wouldn't believe it front the photo below, but it is actually 256 feet from the centre of the stones. The heel stone marks the rising of the sun at midsummer as seen from the centre of the stones.


The main inhabitants of the monument seem to be blackbirds these days, and they have complete access to the stones, which alas is no longer case for us humans!


I think I prefer to remain a little bit in the dark about the story of Stonehenge and keep the myths and legends alive. I like to think that I was treading on the same land that Merlin once stood on.


For a place standing in a vast expanse of the English countryside, the whole place just was so atmospheric and it was lovely to be drawn it to that if only for a short while.


No comments:

Post a Comment